To schedule a tour at the Museum or at your venue, please call 302-658-9111, ext. 305.
Discovery Tours at the Museum
The Delaware Museum of Natural History is a fun and interactive destination where teachers can bring their students to learn about the natural world. School-aged children will experience the Museum in new and exciting ways through hands-on programs that are designed to meet the Next Generation Science Standards.
- Pre-K- 1st grade: Animals Make Sense; Animal Homes
- 2nd grade and above: Bizarre Beasts; African Animals
- All ages: Night at the Museum; Endangered Species
- Pre-K- 1st grade: The Changing Seasons; Delmarva Habitats
- 2nd grade and above: Wetland Wonders; Underwater Appetites
- All ages: Under the Sea; Deserts Around the World
- Pre-K- 1std grade: Meet the Dinosaurs!
- 2nd grade and above: Dinosaurs Unearthed; Prehistoric Delmarva
- Pre-K- 1st grade: For the Birds
- 2nd grade and above: Birds of the World
- Pre-K- 1st grade: Build a Bug
- 2nd grade and above: Amazing Arthropods; Molluskmania!
Design Your Own Program
If you don’t see a program that suits your needs, we'll work with you to custom design one just for you!
One program: $5 per student.
Two programs: $8 per student. (Available for 3rd grade and above)
Discovery Tours at Your Doorstep
If you can’t come to the Museum, we’ll bring the Museum to you! We offer exciting, hands-on outreach programs for schools, day cares, community organizations, libraries and more. We’ll bring amazing, touchable specimens from our teaching and live animal collections to your doorstep! We also offer enriching and engaging puppet show outreaches for preschool and early elementary audiences.
Animal Outreach Programs:
- Puppet Shows: Frog Stomp; Wake up, Mr. Bear; Super Powers!
- Pre-K- Kindergarten: Animals A to Zoo; Backyard Animals
- All ages: American Animals; Bats; Slither, Crawl and Hop!; Whoo’s Out There?
Habitat Outreach Programs:
- Puppet Shows: Taking Care of Our Earth; Undersea Adventures; A Dry, Dry Day
- Pre-K- 2nd grade: The Changing Seasons; Delmarva Habitats; Oceans Alive!
- 3rd grade and above: Wetland Wonders; Under the Sea; Deserts Around the World
Dinosaur Outreach Programs:
- Puppet Show: Who is My Mommy?
- All ages: Dinosaurs!
Bird Outreach Programs:
- Pre-K- 2nd grade: For the Birds
- 3rd grade and above: Birds of the World
Invertebrate Outreach Programs:
- Pre-K- 2nd grade: Build a Bug
- 3rd grade and above: Amazing Arthropods; Molluskmania!
Programs are approximately one hour long and are available Monday – Saturday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., with Sundays available upon request. The cost of the outreach programs are $5 per person. Puppet shows are available for a flat rate fee of $125 with a maximum attendance of 30 children.
Special Exhibit Tours
Come visit the Museum’s special exhibits with your class for a limited time only! Get the inside scoop on a variety of fascinating subjects and get up close with rarely-seen specimens unavailable to the general public. These programs are great for all ages.
Our upcoming special exhibits include:
- Ice Age Imperials (October 12, 2013 to January 5, 2014)
- Charlie & Kiwi’s Evolutionary Adventure (January 25 to May 26, 2014)
- Bugs: Outside the Box (June 13 to September 1, 2014)
- Titanoboa: Monster Snake (September 27, 2014 to January 30, 2015)
Endangered Species Assembly
Museum educators showcase endangered animals from around the world and talk about their natural history, geography, conservation efforts, and chances for survival. Includes amazing specimens from the Museum’s education collection. Schools must be able to support a PowerPoint presentation and provide a projection screen and sound system.
The price for a one-hour program is $200.
Children who receive free or reduced breakfast or lunch qualify for one free Discovery Tour at the Museum and one free Discovery Tour at Your Doorstep per school year. To receive assistance, schools must fax a letter on school letterhead indicating the number of qualifying children at least two weeks before the tour. Please fax to 302-658-2610, Attn: Education Programs Facilitator. Funding is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
For scheduling and more information, please call 302-658-9111, ext. 305.