Water's Extreme Journey
June 15 - September 2, 2013
Have you ever watched a rain storm and wondered just how far each raindrop travels on its journey to earth? Or just how many of our everyday activities involve water? Water’s Extreme Journey, the Museum’s latest special exhibit, will take visitors on an adventure to find the answers to these questions and more!
As you enter the exhibit, you’re transformed into a raindrop and sent on a journey through mountains, streams, and even your own backyard, where everyday decisions impact your chance of staying clean and reaching the healthy ocean. Clean choices keep droplets healthy and moving toward a clean ocean. Dirty choices send droplets down the urban storm drain to the unhealthy ocean, where they evaporate, condensate, and precipitate for another try.
While investigating winding pathways, this fully interactive maze experience engages visitors through play, scientific inquiry, art, and action. The experience will illuminate human impacts great and small, while teaching how to contribute to healthy, safe water in their community and beyond. With a little luck, and a few attempts, visitors will learn how to make cleaner choices and discover the rewards of a healthy ocean.
Water’s Extreme Journey was created by world-renowned marine life artist Wyland and Seattle-based Minotaur Mazes.
- 20-Foot Monorail that will transform you into a water droplet before releasing you into the watershed!
- How Much Water? Nearly 70% of the earth is covered by water and less than 1% is available for drinking. How can this be? Investigate answers by comparing all the types of water on Earth.
- Get Filtered! Take a trip through the Slow Zone to get cleaned up! This wetland experience demonstrates how grass and other plants naturally filter water.
- Animal Identification: Visit animal habitats in the interactive maze and see if you can identify each inhabitant. You may be surprised!
- Wildlife Wheel: Think you’ve conquered the maze? A spin of the wheel sends you on another adventure in search of certain hidden animal information, and reveals how important clean water is for their survival.
- Dodge Pollution: Get ready, raindrops… humans ahead! Five spinning impact wheels simulate interaction between humans and water. Get through all impact points and stay clean to reach the healthy ocean!
Sponsored by with additional support provided by Artesian Resources Corporation.
Members' Preview Party
Friday, June 14, 5:30 - 7:30 p.m.
Members can take a sneak peek at Water’s Extreme Journey before anyone else! Explore the Museum after hours, enjoy snacks in the Canteen, and meet fellow members.
This exciting Members' Preview Party will include:
- Water Activity Stations - Explore fresh, brackish, and ocean water through hands-on activities throughout the Museum.
- Curiosity Cart - Stop by the Science in Action Lab to learn more about aquatic turtles, including the Archelon, the largest sea turtle that ever lived!
- Live Animals - Explore the Nature Nook and get up-close with live animals from our Education Division.
RSVP acceptances only to Suzanne Moussa at firstname.lastname@example.org or 302-658-9111, ext. 320. We hope to see you there!